You are invited to take part in Messages of Hope, Messages of Love, a major new public artwork by Australian artist Michaela Gleave. Taking the form of a collaborative poem written in lights, the work will project Morse code messages from the roof of the Art Gallery of New South Wales into the night sky. It will brighten the darkness with messages of hope and love over three consecutive evenings from 16-18 October 2020.
Please scroll down to send your message.
Messages of Hope, Messages of Love is part of Archie Plus, a project that celebrates portraiture and the power of community after a year of challenge and change.
Please enter a message for inclusion in the project via the form below. Once all the responses have been collated, selected messages will be arranged to form a direct and heartfelt response to the unusual circumstances of our time.
Messages can be submitted until Monday 5 October 2020.
If your message is selected for inclusion in the project, you will receive an email by 12 October notifying you of the time and date it will appear in Messages of Hope, Messages of Love. You can return to this webpage for the live video feed, or simply watch the night sky from 8pm to midnight during 16, 17 and 18 October to view the project.
Sent with love, Michaela
Notice and disclaimer in relation to interaction with this artwork project
- All messages submitted to this artwork project will be moderated. The artist and Art Gallery of New South Wales provide no guarantee that your message will be displayed, and you will be contacted in the event that your message is selected for inclusion in the final artwork. The artist’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By submitting a message to this artwork, you permit the artist to edit your message for the purposes of display.
- All messages submitted must be the original work of the user, and not infringe the copyright, moral rights or any other rights of any third party.
- Do not provide any harmful, inappropriate or sensitive information (including personal information) as part of your interaction with the artwork.
- Text you provide as part of your engagement with this artwork may be stored, used and published by the artist for future artworks, promotions or any other purposes, provided that such text will be anonymised.
- Users grant the artist and the Art Gallery of New South Wales non-exclusive rights to reproduce, publish and/or communicate to the public all messages for the purposes of project archiving, marketing, publicity, educational and publication uses in all media, including but not limited to electronic/digital, broadcasting and print media, in perpetuity.
born Alice Springs 1980, lives and works Sydney
In collaboration with lighting designer Fausto Brusamolino
Messages of Hope, Messages of Love 2020
durational public artwork, moving head searchlights, custom software, publicly sourced messages, live video stream
Concept, lighting design and custom software: Fausto Brusamolino
Live stream videographer: Martin Fox
Web programmer: Warren Armstrong
Courtesy the artist
This project is supported by the City of Sydney and the NSW Government through Create NSW